Book of Witnesses
These are the names of donors, office-bearers and others who enabled the creation of the Cathedral as it is today and those who contributed to its worship. The Dean welcomes further information for this record.
Allworthy, S W. JP, MA, MD. He presented a water colour of the West front of Saint Anne’s Parish Church, 1865. It is in the Cathedral archives.
Andrews, Thomas, MD, LLD, DSC, FRS, and Jane Hardie Andrews. Thomas Andrews was Vice-President of Queen’s College Belfast from 1845 to 1879. He and his wife were worshippers in Saint Anne’s Parish Church. Their daughters caused the Pillar of Science to be carved in their memory in 1927.
Bailey, Dr Hugh W. He was a churchwarden in the Vestry of 1886.
[1897 Street Directory – Hugh W Bailie, LRCP, LRCS Edin, LRPS Glasgow – 45 Ormeau Road]
Baird, William S. [of W & G Baird, later proprietors of the Belfast Telegraph] He was a baritone in the Parish Church choir in 1861, as shown in a photograph in the Ambulatory.
Barber, Ian. See Organists
Barbour, John Doherty and Elizabeth L Barbour. John Barbour chaired The William Barbour Thread Company of Hilden for more than twenty years. The carved wooden pews on either side of the central aisle in the Nave were dedicated in the memory of John (South side) and his wife Elizabeth (North side).
Barbour, The Rt. Hon. Sir J. Milne, BT, JP, DL, MP [1868-1951]and Elise Barbour. Sir Milne Barbour was the 1st and last Baronet of Hilden, Co Antrim, created in 1943. He was the son of John Doherty Barbour who was Chairman of the William Barbour Linen Thread Company of Hilden for over 20 years and he succeeded his father as Chairman also for over 30 years.
He was born in 1868, married Elise Barbour, a distant connection from the USA in 1899. She was born in Paterson, New Jersey, USA in 1873 and died at “Conway”, Dunmurry in 1910. In her short life she had three daughters and one son John who went missing when flying home over the Irish Sea one weekend just before the World War II in 1937. John worked at the Barbour factory in Glasgow and flew home most weekends.
His sister Helen married Thomas Andrews, the designer of the “Titanic” who was drowned when the ship hit an iceberg and sank in 1912. She later married Henry Harland of Harland and Wolff.
As an MP at Stormont, Sir Milne held various Ministries including Minister of Commerce, Minister of Finance and Deputy Prime Minister.
As well as being Chairman of the largest linen thread company in the world, whose head office was at Lisburn, the company had factories in Glasgow, Paisley and other places. He was also Chairman of various other businesses including Insurance Companies and was President of the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society. He was a keen Freemason being appointed Grand King of the Supreme Royal Arch Chapter of Ireland in 1933.
He lived in style at “Conway”, Dunmurry and was a most generous benefactor to charities. “Conway” became a hotel after his death in 1951 and has since been demolished and the area is to be developed into a housing estate.
The Barbours were connected to many local families including the Harlands and Pirries of Harland and Wolff, the Duffins of Danesfort, the Andrews of Comber, the McCances of Woodburn, the Gordons of Lisburn and the Carsons of Cherryvalley whose daughter Kerry married Dr. Ian Adamson, Lord Mayor of Belfast.
The paving in Irish marble of the central aisle in the Nave was given in memory of Elise by her husband Sir Milne and their children.
Barclay, Miss Margaret – died 22 April 1985.
Barrett, Samuel D. A parishioner who worshipped both in Saint Anne’s Parish Church and the cathedral for more than 60 years. Mr Barrett was Secretary of the Vestry in 1886. The capitals at the entrance to the North Transept were carved in his memory at the behest of Andrew and Alicia Clendinning in 1926.
[1897 Street Directory – S D Barrett, harbour official, 131 Princess May Terrace, Duncairn Gardens]
Belfast Banking Company. The staff gave the Gideon window in memory of 17 of their colleagues killed in The Great War 1914 - 1918.
Bell, Robert. He was present, as a churchwarden at the Consecration of the Apse and Ambulatory on 17th April 1959.
Betts- Jones, Irene. A plaque on a pillar in the Ambulatory was erected in memory of her life, 20th June 1891 – 13th March 1982.
Bermingham, George – see Hannay
Blackmore, Sir Charles, CBE. The Precentor’s stall for the use of the Dean of Connor was presented in 1959 by Sir Charles Blackmore of Clanbrassil House, Cultra.
Boodle, Christopher - See Organists
Boyd, Alan - Past Chorister, Past Chair of PCA and Cathedral Archivist.
Braithwaite, Charles, ARHA. Sometime Head of the Art Department at Methodist College whose four illuminated scripts, the gift of his sister-in-law, Mrs William Keith, hang in the Ambulatory.
Bredin, Major-General H E N. “Bala” Bredin was present as Colonel of the Regiment at the dedication of the Royal Irish Rangers Chapel in the North transept on 6th June 1981.
Breene, Louise. She was President of the Diocese of Connor Mothers’ Union from 1953 to 1957. The Diocesan banner stands in the Ambulatory as a memorial to her.
Brennan, Captain Charles J, OBE, MA, Mus Bac, FRCO. Organist 1904 - 1964. A memorial plaque is at the steps of the south aisle. See Organists.
Brown, Sir Percival, CBE, JP, FAI. [1901-1962] The five ensigns each in the North and South Aisles were the gift of Sir Percival. [These were replaced in the mid 1990s] A Member of Belfast Corporation from 1936 to 1955, and Lord Mayor 1953-1955, he was a Board member for many years. In 1967, Lady Brown donated the copy of the “Abraham” painting in the Ambulatory.
Brown, Lady [Helen], wife of Sir Percival. Donor in 1967 of the painting of “Abraham dismissing Hagar and Ishmael” in the Ambulatory is how the Rotterdam artist Adriaen van der Werff saw him. The painting is a copy and was probably made shortly after the original, dated 1701, which hangs in the Dresden Gallery. A one-time member of the Cathedral Board, for many years an active member of the Tapestry Guild
Brown, Tom. Son of Sir Percival Brown. A member of the Cathedral Board, Dean’s Glebe Warden, and 1980-1982 People’s Church Warden, he was present at the dedication of the North Transept on 28th June 1981, as recorded on a plaque therein.
Browne, “Amen”. He was the alto singer in the Parish Church choir in 1861.
Browne, Sir John Walton, MD, LLD, DL, and Samuel Browne, MD, RN, JP. The Pillar of Healing was carved in memory of Sir John and his father, Samuel, for their work in healing the sick. Sir John, [1845-1923], who was knighted in 1921, was a consultant surgeon at the Royal Victoria Hospital, and one-time Medical Officer for Belfast. His father, Samuel, served as Mayor of Belfast in 1870. The carving, to the design of Nicholson, was executed by Maurice Harding at the behest of Sir John’s daughter in 1930.
Bustard, George D. He was a Churchwarden in 1955 when a stone was set in the Apse by HE the Governor of NI. He was a Past Chorister and Cathedral Scholar and was married to Ruth nee Woodward (qv).
Butler, Betty. One of four chairs at the organ console was presented in 1977 by the Girls’ Friendly Society in Connor, Down and Dromore in commemoration of the Centenary of the Society in Ireland and in memory of Betty Butler, Vice President.
Calvert, Cecil and Eileen. The Chancellor’s stall was the gift of Eileen Calvert of Spa in memory of her husband Cecil A Calvert, FRCS, in 1959. Eileen Calvert later married the widowed Lord Brookborough.
Cambridge, David. A churchwarden at the time of the dedication on 5th June 1994 of the glass screen and doorway at the main entrance, his name is recorded on an inscription nearby.
Campbell, Robert Garrett, CBE. The Tympanum of Victory above the southern portal was dedicated to his memory. He helped to found the cathedral and served it until his death in 1931, aged 73. He was a prominent Ulster linen manufacturer, a son of John Campbell of Rathtern, Whiteabbey. He was educated at Wellington College, Berkshire and in Dresden. He returned to join the family firm of Messrs Henry Campbell & Co. Ltd, flax spinners and linen thread manufacturers at Mossley Mills, Belfast. He subsequently headed the firm for 30 years as Chairman and Managing Director.
Carson of Duncairn, Edward Henry Carson, Baron. Lord Carson’s grave, the only one in the cathedral, is in the South Aisle. At his burial, soil from all six counties of Northern Ireland was strewn on to the coffin before the gravestone, of Mourne granite, was laid.
Carson was born on February 9th 1854 in Dublin and died on October 22nd 1935 at Minster in Kent, England. A lawyer and politician, he was known as the "uncrowned king of Ulster," who successfully led northern Irish resistance to the British government's attempts to introduce Home Rule for the whole of Ireland. Although Carson was to become the champion of the northern province, he was born into a Protestant family in southern Ireland and was reared and educated there. Early in his Irish legal career (from 1877), he came to mistrust the Irish nationalists. As senior crown prosecutor for Dublin, he sternly enforced the Crimes Act of 1887, securing numerous convictions for violence against Irish estates owned by English absentee landlords. Appointed Irish solicitor general in 1892, he was elected to the British House of Commons in the same year, was called to the English bar in 1893, and served as British solicitor general from 1900 to 1905
During these years Carson achieved his greatest success as a barrister. In 1895 his cross-examination (in his role as queen's counsel) of Oscar Wilde largely secured the Irish writer's conviction for homosexuality. On Feb. 27, 1910, Carson accepted the parliamentary leadership of the anti-Home Rule Irish Unionists and, forfeiting his chance to lead the British Conservative Party, devoted himself entirely to the Ulster cause. His dislike of southern Irish separatism was reinforced by his belief that the heavy industry of Belfast was necessary to the economic survival of Ireland. The Liberal government (1908-16) under H.H. Asquith, which in 1912 decided to prepare a Home Rule bill, could not overcome the effect of Carson's obstructionist speeches in Commons. The covenant of resistance to Home Rule, signed by Carson and other leaders in Belfast on Sept. 28, 1912, and afterward by thousands of Ulstermen, was followed by his establishment of a provisional government in Belfast in 1913. Early in that year he recruited a private Ulster army that openly drilled for fighting in the event that the Home Rule Bill was enacted. In preparation for a full-scale civil war, he successfully organized the landing of a large supply of weapons from Germany at Larne, County Antrim, on April 24, 1914. The British government, however, began to make concessions to the northern Irish, and in July 1914 Carson agreed to Home Rule for Ireland apart from Ulster (effected in 1921). Appointed attorney general in Asquith's wartime coalition ministry on May 25, 1915, Carson resigned on October 19 because of his dissatisfaction with the conduct of the war. In David Lloyd George's coalition ministry (1916-22) he was First Lord of the Admiralty (Dec. 10, 1916, to July 17, 1917) and then a member of the war Cabinet as minister without portfolio (to Jan. 21, 1918). Accepting a life peerage, he served from 1921 to 1929 as Lord of Appeal in Ordinary.
The silver bowl which contained the soil from the six counties was later presented to the Cathedral by the government of Northern Ireland. It is used as a baptismal bowl.
Childe, Muriel. The Bible on the Lectern was given by the Cathedral Choir on 30th March 1969 in memory of Muriel, who had been a leading contralto from 1939 until her death in March 1968.
Church of Ireland Women Workers’ Society. Donated the pillar of Brigid - the sixth column, counting from the east, in the Baptistry.
Clark, John. He was the bass singer in the Parish Church choir in 1861.
Clendinning, Andrew A and Alicia Essie. The carvings at the bases of the columns in the porch way of the southern entrance and the mosaic on its inner tympanum were given by their daughters, Alicia M Lynn and Alexandra Lloyd, in memory of their father who died on Christmas Eve, 1933. The carving of the interior of porch was caused in 1928 by Andrew Clendinning in memory of his wife, Alicia, who died on 26th June 1927. He and his wife provided for the carving, in 1926, of the capitals at the entrance to the North Transept in memory of Samuel Barrett, a parishioner.
Coats, Annie. She is one of the benefactors named in the tryptique in the Baptistry. Her donation was the most easterly of the ten columns. Annie Coats was a member of the Cathedral Guild and her column is called “Anne”.
Craig, David. He was the Calligrapher of the framed notices at the entrance to the Chapel of the Holy Spirit (1979) and the Baptistry (1970). Son of Rev Canon Graham Craig, and a former member of the cathedral choir.
Craig, Stanley and Heather. One of four chairs at the organ console was presented in 1981 by Stanley and Heather Craig. Stanley was a school teacher ??, and for many years a member of the Cathedral Board. He was a Churchwarden, in 1974 when the South Transept and Chapel of Unity were consecrated.
Croft, Samuel - Asst.Organist 1936-39 - See Organists.
Crothers, Mrs V M. The organ chamber screen was erected in April 1985by the Friends of Belfast Cathedral in memory of Mrs Crothers who had been their Honorary Secretary for 25 years. Her name also appears on a plaque on the console of the organ which had been enlarged and re-dedicated in 1975 through the generosity of the “Friends”.
Cunningham, Frederick and family. The Lectern is dedicated to the memory of Ruth Cunningham, wife of Frederick. She died on 1st September 1901, aged 25. She was a daughter of Mr Samuel A Johnston, of Dalriada, Jordanstown, and his wife Agnes. Fred Cunningham was a solicitor, in partrnership with Mr E O’Roke Dickey.
Davey, Rev Dr Ray, OBE. The Prayers for Peace plaque on a pillar at the Chapel of Unity was dedicated by Reverend Davey, founder of the Corrymeela Community at the close of the International Year of Peace, on 4th December 1986.
Davidson, Miss Etta – embroidered altar clothes.
De Wind, Edwin, VC. A Comber lad who emigrated to Canada in 1911, he joined the Canadian Army in 1914. He was commissioned in the Royal Irish Rifles in 1917, and was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, after being killed at St Quentin, France, in March 1918.
Dickey, E O’Rorke
Dixon, Edith. She provided the pillar called “Columba” in the Baptistry,
Dixon, Rt Hon Sir Daniel, BT, MP, and Family. Sir Daniel erected the “Joseph” stained glass window in the South Aisle in memory of his brother, Thomas, and his son Lieutenant Percy Dixon, 3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers who died at Cairo, 26 August 1902, aged 20. He was also the father of Evelyn Anne Dixon, the wife of Captain Herbert Bernard Ward, who is remembered by the carving of the capitals of the two pillars at the Baptistry. She died on 26th November 1925, and the carvings were commissioned by her surviving sisters, Mrs Sarah Stevens, Mrs Louise Wortham & Miss Beatrice Dixon.
Daniel Dixon was born in Larne in 1844, the son of Thomas Dixon, a timber merchant. He was educated at the Royal Academical Institution, Belfast, and joined his father’s business, becoming a partner in 1864. His brother, Thomas S Dixon, was also a partner. The firm, Messrs Thomas Dixon & Sons, thrived and expanded into shipping to become owners of the Lord Line. Daniel Dixon was also a director of the Ulster Steamship Co Ltd which owned the Head Line. He was chairman of the Ulster Marine Insurance Co and a director of the Belfast & County Down Railway.
It was his association with Belfast Corporation which brought him into public prominence. In 1872 he became a Councillor for Dock Ward in which his firm’s premises were located and nine years later became an Alderman. He felt strongly that the Belfast tramway system ought not to be private property and saw to it that it was owned and run by the ratepayers. He was closely involved in the movement to build the City Hall and the Infectious Diseases Hospital at Purdysburn.
In 1892 he became Mayor of Belfast for the first time and was first to receive the title of Lord Mayor by Royal Charter from Queen Victoria. In the same year he was knighted. He was re-elected in the following year and occupied the mayoral chair five more times between 1901 and 1906. In 1902 he was elected a Member of King George’s Privy Council and was created a baronet the following year.
Politically, Sir Daniel was a staunch Conservative and a resolute opponent of Gladstone’s Home Rule proposals. In 1905 he won the North Belfast bye-election for the Unionists and successfully defended the seat in the general election in 1906.
Sir Daniel was a member of the Church of Ireland and generously supported the building of the Cathedral. He erected the “Joseph” window in the south aisle in memory of his brother, Thomas, and his son Lieutenant Percy Dixon, 3rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers who died at Cairo, 26 August 1902, aged 20.
Daniel Dixon’s first wife was a daughter of James Agnew. His second, who he married in 1870, was a daughter of James Shaw. They lived at Ballymenoch, Holywood, and worshipped in Holywood Parish Church where Sir Daniel was a member of the Select Vestry for 14 years. It was on the morning of Sunday 10 March 1907 as he was walking from his home to church, accompanied by Edwin Hughes (qv), he complained of sudden pain and instead of continuing to church he made for his son Herbert’s house at ‘Brooklyn’ nearby. There, in spite of the efforts of his sons Herbert and Daniel and a nurse, he died of cardiac failure within minutes.
On his death, Sir Daniel was survived by his wife, four sons and five daughters. His eldest son, Thomas J Dixon, JP, of Graymount and Drumnadarragh, succeeded in the baronetcy. His other sons were Daniel, Frank and Herbert.
Drew, Thomas, FRIBA, LLD. He was the architect of the cathedral at the time of the laying of the foundation stone in 1899 and his name is recorded on an inscription nearby. See Architects.
Drinkell, David. See Organists
Dunlop, Mrs Joy – A life-long Quaker, she had a long association with the Cathedral Tapestry Guild. Her main contribution lay in the intricate work of designing and drawing out new tapestries – see 28/2/1973.
Eccles, William. He provided the Nehemiah window in memory of his cousin, the architect W H A Lynn.
E.M.D. The carving of the Angel (by Praeger?) at the western end of the frieze in the Baptistry was given in memory of E.M.D.. (EMD = Edith Dixon? – no ! Edith Sarah Dixon)
Erskine, Robert T. He was the donor, in May 1965, of a US flag, to commemorate the arrival in Belfast of the first American troops in Europe on 26th January 1942. The flag disintegrated, as flags do, and was replaced in 19xx, as explained on a plaque below the flag in the Ambulatory.
Ewart, George Herbert. He was a linen manufacturer and member of the Board of the Cathedral from 1903 until his death in 1924. His widow and children caused the Pillar of Industry to be carved in his memory in 1927.
Ewart, James Mathewson. The fourth son of Sir William Ewart Bart and Isabella.Lady Ewart, he was born in Belfast in 1854 and died in New York in 1898. A relief, “As the Shadow of a Great Rock in a Weary Land”, stands in the Ambulatory as a memorial to him.
Ewart, Sir William and Lady Isabella. The parents of their fourth son, James Mathewson Ewart whose memorial “As the Shadow of a Great Rock in a Weary Land” stands in the Ambulatory.
Fanning, Major Robert J. He was People’s churchwarden, 1958-1961, and presented the People’s Warden’s seat and wand at Easter, 1961, to commemorate his three years as Warden. A gift of a similar chair and wand for the use of the Dean’s Warden was given anonymously. He was present at the Consecration of the Apse and Ambulatory on 17th April 1959.
Ferguson, Ellen. She gave the Pillar called “Patrick” in the Baptistry
Ferrar, William Augustus. The Pillar of Art was carved in his memory as a tribute to his interest in the promotion of the work of the cathedral and its welfare. The pillar was carved in 1930 a year after his death at the age of 70.
Fleming, Henry. Treasurer of the Queen’s Island Unionist Club, whose World War I memorial is in the North Aisle.
Forsyth, Willie - verger
Galbraith, Dr W R N. A Doctor with a practice on Cregagh Road, he was a long time member of the Cathedral Board. He was a Churchwarden in 1955 when the foundation stone was set in the Apse. [He left the Cathedral in 1973 in protest at the decision to place a Cross on the altar]
Gallaher, James and Jessie Gallaher. The gates at the North West entrance were given in his memory and that of Jessie Robinson Gallagher, 1931.
Gamble, Robert. He was the cathedral’s first Verger and the bench in the Baptistry was the gift of his family in his memory.
Giles, Marshall, Ethel and family. The Dean’s Vicar’s stall was the gift of Irene McMullen in 1959 in memory of her parents, Marshall and Ethel Giles.
Gordon, Henry. He was one of three tenors in the Parish Church choir in 1861, as shown in a photograph in the Ambulatory
Gordon, Hilda. The wife of Walter Gordon. Both lost their lives due to the Kegworth Disaster and their names are on a memorial plaque in the Ambulatory.
Gordon, Walter, MRAeS and Hilda Gordon. Walter and his wife, Matilda (Hilda), lost their lives in the Kegworth aircraft disaster and their names are on a memorial plaque in the Ambulatory. He worked as an engineer in aircraft manufacture at Shorts in Belfast before becoming a Senior Lecturer in Belfast College of Technology, teaching aeronautical and manufacturing subjects. He was on the Council of Engineering Institutions, a Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society and was Secretary of the Belfast Branch for several years.
Gregory, Jonathan.See Organists
Grindle, Harry, Dr. See Organists
Guy, Elizabeth. She caused the interior of the porch at the North West entrance to be carved, 1928.
Hanna, John. Chairman of the Queen’s Island Unionist Club, whose World War I memorial is in the North Aisle.
Harding, Maurice. Sculptor. See Sculptors and Artists.
Harrison, Herbie A. Churchwarden of the cathedral when the “Charity” window in the Ambulatory was dedicated on 23rd September 1988. A regular member of the “working party” that carried out cleaning and maintenance during the 1970s and early 1980s.
Harte, Charles C. A Cathedral warden in the time of Dean Crooks, a parishioner for many years, and a teacher of geography and maths at geography and maths at Belfast Royal Academy for 40 years. He was born on 7th January 1902 at the “Mountain House”, near Ballysodare, County Sligo. The family moved to a house almost next door to Kilmacshalgan Parish Church, near Dromore West. He was educated at Galway Grammar School and Trinity College, Dublin, gaining a degree in Natural Sciences. He later paid the regulation £10 to have this converted into an M.A. which he always regarded as a sound investment!
After teaching briefly at St. Andrew’s College in Dublin he moved to Belfast and by the late 1920’s was at Belfast Royal Academy. He played rugby for Wanderers while in Dublin and later Malone R.F.C. who at that stage (and hence the name) were based at the Balmoral Showgrounds. He won an Ulster cap, but had there been a Connaught side at the time he would probably have opted for them! A knee injury ended his playing but, before the start of WW2, he had been President of the Ulster Branch of the I.R.F.U. During the war he served with the Royal Artillery, seeing action at Dunkirk and, with the 8th Army, in the desert.
He returned to Belfast and B.R.A. after the war and married Peggy Fegan at St. Mary Magdelene, Donegall Pass, on 29th November 1945. She was from Cavan town, where her father was a solicitor.
In the 1950’s he became an Irish rugby selector and was a British Lions selector for the Team to South Africa in 1955. He was President of Malone twice between 1959 and 1970 and President of the I.R.F.U for the 1964-1965 season. He was a keen golfer and played at Cliftonville where at one time his handicap was as low as 3. In the late 1950’s he bought a cottage in Annalong and continued his golf at Kilkeel.
He was a contemporary of Dean Peacocke at Trinity and was one of Dean Crooks’ Wardens.
Charles Harte died suddenly in August 1973. Mr Harte’s son, Christopher, became a teacher in Bangor Grammar School. His grandsons, Jonathan and Michael became Geography teachers at Dublin’s Wesley College and Belfast Royal Academy, respectively.
Hempton, Mervyn. Churchwarden of the cathedral when the “Patience” window in the Ambulatory was dedicated on 1st September 1996 and when the “Faith” window was dedicated on 27th May 1997. He also served later as Glebewarden.
Hempton, Doris. Wife of Mervyn. Served for ______years as Christian Education teacher with the Choristers.
Herdman, Sir Robert, KT, DL, and Lucy Herdman. The three high windows in the Apse were dedicated in memory of Lucy Lambert Herdman by her husband, Sir Robert, on Trinity Sunday, June 1976.
Higinbotham, Granby. He gave the three stained glass windows in the Baptistry, in memory of his daughter Harriette. The windows depict, firstly, Moses leading the children of Israel across the Red Sea. The central window, in two sections, shows Christ’s baptism in Jordan, above and The Ark of Christ’s Church, below. The third window has a picture of Saint Patrick baptising at Tara, Easter 433. The mosaic representing “Creation” in the dome of the Baptistry was given by Olivia Moore in memory of her father, Granby Higinbotham. The work, consisting of an estimated 150,000 pieces, was executed by the Misses Martin.
Holland, William. He was a tenor in the Parish Church choir in 1861.
Hunter, Sam – work parties
Hughes, Edwin, D.L. (b 19th September 1852, d 26th September 1919) A plaque on the wall of the North Aisle gives his address as Dalchoolin, Craigavad. His daughter, Winifred, is also remembered on this plaque. A member of Select Vestry of St Ann’s Parish Church.
Hughes, Eric M. He was the American Consul General who placed in the Cathedral the USA flag presented by Robert T Erskine to commemorate the arrival in Belfast of the first American troops in Europe in 1942.
Hughes, Winifred. A daughter of Edwin Hughes, she was born on 9th November 1891, and died at Adelboden on 18th March, 1920 and is remembered by a plaque on the wall of the North Aisle. She had assisted the Rector of Newtownards to organise a canteen in France during the First World War
Irvine, Henry. Secretary of the Queen’s Island Unionist Club, whose World War I memorial is in the North Aisle.
Louisa Jane Irwin. Wife of Charles King Irwin, Bishop of Down, Connor and Dromore, 1942-1945, was President of both the Mothers’ Union and Girl’s Friendly Society in the Diocese of Connor and in 1959 they presented two chairs in the Apse and two in the Sanctuary as their memorial to her.Two chairs for the Sanctuary, in their memory, were dedicated in 1994, a bequest from their son, Charles. See CIG 20 January 1995
Johnson, Dame Jane. Daughter of Mr Thomas Hughes, who, with her husband, looked on their wealth as a trust confided to them for the high and noble object of benefiting their fellow citizens. There is still a trust fund, “Lady Johnson’s Bounty” administered by the Diocesan Office. Following the death of her husband, she presented the stained glass window of The Good Samaritan, situated in the Ambulatory, the only surviving artefact of the fabric of the old Parish Church in the Cathedral.
Johnson, Sir William Gillilam. Born in 1808, he trained as a barrister, but never practiced Law. He entered actively into public life, and his in municipal affairs rapidly became a powerful factor. His unyielding integrity and conscientiousness soon made him a marked man in Belfast. He was Mayor of Belfast in 1849, when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited the town, and he was knighted on the occasion of their visit. In 1850 he married Miss Jane Hughes, and from then until 1869 did not take such an active part in public life, instead devoting himself, with his wife, to works of practical philanthropy and charity. He was President of the Belfast Charitable Society, of which he was a generous subscriber, and a major donor and founder member of The Protestant Orphan Society. He died on 9th April 1886, aged 77.
Johnston, William. He was a tenor in the Parish Church choir in 1861.
John the Evangelist, Saint Parishioners of. The parishioners and congregation of the church of Saint John the Evangelist, Upper Holloway N., presented to Reverend J Seaver (qv) a clock that stands in the Ambulatory.
Johns, Maria Noy. She was born 3rd March 1828 and died 7th September 1916. Mr Henry I Johns caused the Pillar of Agriculture, designed by Chalmers McGregor, to be carved by Harding in her memory. A member of the Johns family of solicitors, from Carrickfergus ?
Johnston, The Misses – choir robes mistresses
Joynt, James, Lancaster. Honorary Secretary of Select Vestry, St Ann’s Parish Church and first Hon Secretary to the Board of the Cathedral. James Lancaster Joynt was one of those people on whom organisations depend – committed, reliable and industrious – but for whom no memorial exists.
He was a life-long member of Saint Anne’s and on the Select Vestry in 1887. In 1888 he became the Vestry’s Honorary Secretary. He was still in harness in 1910! During those 22 years he had missed just three meetings. Hannay and O’Hara both had him also as their Churchwarden.
His work will have been very demanding during the years when his Parish Church became the city’s Cathedral. His independence was shown in 1906 when he wrote a letter resigning his office. There had been differences among Board members about the disposal of the old Snetzler organ and the acquisition of the new Harrison. The Harrison had been chosen after Carnegie made a donation on the understanding that his contribution would be matched by the Cathedral. James Joynt thought the Cathedral’s money would be better spent completing the West Front. The Board, at the Dean’s request, wrote to Mr Joynt asking him to reconsider and, by the next meeting, he was back on duty, pen in hand. He had changed his decision but not his mind. His name never did appear on the list of donors! Happily, the Cathedral got both the West Front and the new organ though the fate of the Snetzler was later regretted.
He continued as Hon Sec until his death in 1910. He also served as the first Clerk to the Chapter.
Joynt is a Huguenot surname and there is evidence that James Lancaster Joynt’s father had connections in Broughshane and Ballymena. In 1866 a James Joynt had a linen manufacturing business with its office in 52 Talbot Street, Belfast – next door to Saint Anne’s. In 1870, both James Joynt and James Lancaster Joynt of the firm Joynt and Son were living at 100 Great George Street. Their business was “Hessian & Bag Manufacture and Yarn Merchants”. The business moved base at times but J L Joynt settled home in 76 Fitzroy Avenue, until 1899 when “76” became “vacant”. Three years later J L Joynt reappeared, as a solicitor acting as agent for an insurance company in 9 Wellington Place. He then lived the rest of his life at Rosetta Villas on the Ormeau Road, Belfast.
Keith, Mrs William. (nee Mary F Kennedy), sister-in-law of Charles Braithwaite whose four illuminated scripts hang in the Ambulatory.
Kennedy, Mary F. Maiden name of Mrs William Keith, qv.
Kilpatrick, Annie. (d 1907) The corbels over the arch at the North Transept are in her memory.
Kinahan, Frederick. Frederick Kinahan, of Lyle & Kinahan, spirit merchants, played an important part in the establishment of the Cathedral. For many years he was a Board member, occupying the position of Honorary Treasurer etc. He was married to a daughter of Rev Robert Hannay.
Kinahan, Henry, Ula and family. The Preacher’s stall and the Vicar Choral’s stall in the Chancel were the gift of Charles, Robert and Marion Kinahan in memory of their parents Henry and Ula in 1959.
Kinahan, Robin Sir.
Knox, Robert – wood carver, who designed and carved the oak pulpit in the cathedral – died june 1982.
Knox, Robert Kyle, MA, LLD and Sam Wright Knox. Mr R K Knox was born in May 1835 and was an architect, lawyer and banker and one of the founders of the Cathedral. He died in January 1919 and his son, S W Knox, caused the Pillar of Theology to be carved in 1929.
Laverty, Henry. The firm of Henry Laverty and Sons was responsible for the initial building of the cathedral. His name is on a stone in the main entrance which records the laying of the foundation stone on 6th September 1899.
Laverty, William. A member of the family whose firm was responsible for the initial building of the cathedral. He died in 1926 and is remembered by the carving of the Tympanum of Peace above the main entrance, provided in 1927 by his widow and daughter.
Lawrenson, Edith Mary. The wooden stand which supports the silver cross in the Sanctuary was given in 1983, in memory of Edith Mary Lawrenson, mother of Rev Ronald Lawrenson.
Lindsay, Dr Selwood. Died 1972 - Son of Rev Herbert Lindsay, Rector of St Bartholomew’s, Belfast, 1919-1958.
Lynn, William Henry, RHA. (b 27th December 1829, d 12th September 1915) An architect, he assisted Sir Thomas Drew in the original design of this cathedral and supervised the erection of the nave. He was a generous benefactor of the church and made a gift of the stained glass window depicting David, Christ and Solomon in the West Wall. The Nehemiah window was erected in his memory by his cousin, William Eccles, of Larne.See Architects.
Lyons, William Thomas Bristow, (b 12th August 1812, d 4th June 1887), he was the only son of W H Lyons of Old Park. A plaque in the Ambulatory, recording that he lived also for some time at Brookhill, Lisburn, County Antrim, was placed in his memory by his mother, Ann. The plaque was originally in the Parish Church.
Lyons, William Holmes. The father of W T B Lyons whose memorial plaque is in the Ambulatory.
Lyons, Ann. The wife of W H Lyons and mother of W T B Lyons whose memorial plaque is in the Ambulatory. She was the daughter of the Reverend William Bristow, Vicar of Belfast and for many years Sovereign of the town.
MacBratney, Joseph. He was the Assistant Organist before his retirement from that post in April 1917. He was replaced by Mr Jack McKeown.See organists.
Martin, Alan. A churchwarden at the time of the dedication on 5th June 1994 of the glass screen and doorway at the main entrance, his name is recorded on an inscription nearby. He later served as Secretary (honorary) to the Cathedral Board.
Martin, Henry and Sarah. The heating system in the Chapel of Unity was given by the children of life-time worshippers Henry Francis Martin (1886-1968) and Sarah Martin (1884-1980).
Martin, The Misses
May, James Thompson. Organist of Saint Anne’s Parish Church 1847 - 1863. See Organists.
McGregor, Chalmers - See Architects
McGurk, Ethel and family. A chair and prayer desk in the Apse were given in 1981 in memory of Ethel McGurk by her sisters Mary and Tillie and family.
McGurk, Violet and family. A chair in the Chancel was given in 1983 in memory of Violet McGurk by her husband John and sister Winifred Scott.
McIlroy, Stanley J. He was present, as a Churchwarden, in 1974 when the South Transept and Chapel of Unity were consecrated.
McKeown, Jack. Jack McKeown was appointed Assistant Organist in 1917 just after the resignation of Joseph MacBratney. The timing of Mr McKeown’s appointment was critical as the Organist, Mr Brennan, was expecting to be called to duty in World War I. Someone was required who could immediately assume total responsibility for three Sunday Services. See Organists.
McKinley, Robert J. A music stand in the Chapel of Unity commemorates Robert McKinley who died in 1995.
McVicker, William. He introduced the Boys’ Brigade organisation to Ireland in 1888. He founded the 1st Belfast Company in Saint Mary Magdalene Parish Church, Donegall Pass, Belfast. In 1988, its centenary year, a plaque in the Chapel of Unity was dedicated to him. He died in 1925.
Mitchell, (family). The cathedral’s audio amplification system was the gift in 1959 of R Armstrong and R Esme Mitchell in memory of their parents Robert A and J Edith Mitchell of Marmont, Belfast. Armstrong & Esme Mitchell’s father was of the Mitchell’s Whiskey family, and their grandfather was Thomas Gallaher, the tobacco magnate.
Montgomery, Alan. Churchwarden of the cathedral when the “Patience” window in the Ambulatory was dedicated on 1st September 1996 and when the “Faith” window was dedicated on 27th May 1997.
Moore, Ernest, MBE. The Scout Association window in the Chapel of Unity was erected in memory of Ernest Moore in recognition of more than fifty years’ service to Scouting.
Moore, Lizzie. She provided for the carving of the Angel at the eastern end of the frieze in the Baptistry. (by Praeger?)
Moore, Olivia. She was a daughter of Granby Higinbotham and gave the ceiling of the dome in the Baptistry in memory of him. The mosaic in the dome is the work of the Misses Martin and consists of an estimated 150,000 pieces.
Moore, Sir William. ?? Lord Chief Justice ?? A churchwarden in 1925, his name appears on a memorial stone in the west wall at the south side of the main entrance. The Thanksgiving for Victory (World War 1) stone on the West front wall, north side, also carries his name.
Morrison. He was a member of the Parish Church choir in 1861.
Murdoch, Thomas Hughes and family. The ceiling of the Chapel of Unity was the gift of Miss Annie Jane Murdoch, who died on 4th December 1972, in memory of her parents. They, Thomas Hughes and Sarah Carson Murdoch, lived at “Cranford”, Cranmore Avenue, Belfast.
Murray, Sir Donald B. As Church Warden, he was present at the consecration of the North Transept on 28th June 1981, as recorded on a plaque therein. The Choir Room was named after him when the Cathedral Centre was developed. He was a chorister in the 1930’s.
The Right Honourable Sir Donald Bruce Murray (born January 24, 1923) was a Lord Justice of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Northern Ireland. Born in Belfast, he was educated at Belfast Royal Academy and the Queen's University, Belfast as well as Trinity College Dublin. Called to the Bar in 1945, he that same year became assistant parliamentary draftsman to the Government of Northern Ireland, a post he held until becoming assistant lecturer in Law at Queen's University in 1951.
In 1953, Donald Murray was called to the Northern Ireland Bar, and twelve years later he was admitted to the province's Inner Bar, becoming a bencher of the Inn of Court in 1971. Between 1972 and 1975 he chaired the General Council of the Bar of Northern Ireland, and from 1976 to 1984 he was deputy chairman of the country's Boundary Commission.
Having been appointed a judge of the High Court of Justice of Northern Ireland in 1975, Donald was made a judge of the Restrictive Practices Court in 1987, receiving a knighthood the following year. In 1989, he was appointed to the province's Supreme Court, and was admitted to the Privy Council. He retired in 1993, and three years later received the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws from his alma mater Queen's University.
Nicholl, Isaac Waugh. Organist of the old Parish Church from 1873 to 1904 and Board Member. The Pillar of Music, designed by Charles Nicholson and carved by Morris Harding in 1927 was the gift of Mr Nicholl’s widow and children in his memory. It was dedicated on 24th November 1927. The preacher was Mr. Sidney Nicholson (later Sir Sidney), the Organist of Westminster Abbey and Founding Director of the Royal School of Church Music and brother of the Cathedral Architect Sir Charles Nicholson. See Organists.
Nicholson, Charles A. Architect, he designed the Chapel of the Holy Spirit, including the mosaic ceiling. He also designed the Saint Patrick mosaic above the entrance to the Chapel. Both mosaics have, inset in the tesserae, the letters “CAN INV. MM FECIT”. See Architects.
Padmore, Andrew. See Organists
Payne, Charles, CBE, JP. Managing Director of Harland and Wolff, Ltd, he unveiled the plaque at the Jonathan window in the North Aisle.
Porter, Ron. Sang in the choir for several years as a baritone and conducted a mixed voice choir. A print (4/100) of his painting of the West frontis in the Cathedral collection.
Praeger, Rosamund. She was an eminent sculptor and artist whose work adorns the cathedral in many places. Her work includes the plaque above the Carson grave, the Angels at either end of the frieze in the Baptistry (check) and the central figure which was her gift to the cathedral. She carved the Respond of Justice in 1927. See Artists and Sculptors - this site.
Preston, George Johnston. Linen merchant, of Dunmore House, Antrim Road, Belfast The Cathedral Board caused the Pillar of Shipping to be carved in 1931 in memory of Mr Preston, one of the Cathedral’s benefactors.
Price, Arthur - verger
Quin, Stewart Blacker. A tablet, erected by clerical friends in the South Aisle, in his memory mentions his work for the Diocese until his death on 9th April, 1921.
The Church of Ireland Gazette of 15th April, 1921 carried this report of Mr Quin’s contribution to the Church and society.
“Sincere sorrow will be felt by Irish Churchmen at the sad news of the death of Mr. Stewart Blacker Quin, which took place at his residence, Innisfallen. Annadale Avenue, Belfast, on April 9th, after a short illness, following on an attack of pneumonia supervening on influenza. He contracted a chill whilst he was performing one of his many acts of kindness in attending, during the Easter holidays, a function of a charitable nature. He died, therefore, a martyr to a public duty, which he always conscientiously discharged. His loss to the commercial community of Belfast, and indeed of Ulster, will be severely felt, as he occupied a commanding position in business circles, and was one of the leading chartered accountants in Ireland, being a Fellow of the Institute, as well as a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, London. His associations with the linen or staple trade of Ulster were very close, and in recent years he rendered important services in forming the Bleachers' and Finishers' Association, and thus organising the great industry of bleaching. The Irish Dyers' and Finishers' Association and the Irish Linen Trade Corporation were also assisted in their constitution mainly by Mr. Quin. As an arbitrator in the settlement of industrial disputes his services were frequently requisitioned, on account of his intimate knowledge of mercantile matters.
“In, political matters Mr. Quin was a standard bearer of the Unionist cause, and took a leading part in all the anti-Home Rule compaigns of recent years He was the selected candidate for West Belfast, a Nationalist stronghold, and it was generally expected that he would have succeeded in wresting the seat from Mr. Joseph Devlin, had the old Parliamentary division been, retained. Quite recently he was selected by the Central Committee of the Woodvale Unionist Parliamentary Association as a candidate for the division. There is no doubt that he would have been placed at the top of the poll, so great was his popularity. His death will, therefore, be a tremendous loss to the Ulster Parliament, as his keen business experience, especially in financial matters, would have been a great asset to the new Parliament. At a time like the present, the Loyalist Party can ill afford to lose men of the type of the late Mr. Quin.
“It is, however, as a devoted and loyal Irish Churchman that he will be chiefly remembered in the Diocese of Down and Connor and Dromore. The clergy, especially, have reason to remember with gratitude his unwearied and successful exertions on behalf of the Clerical Income Augmentation Fund. Although immersed in business and political matters, and practically one of the busiest men in Belfast, he never allowed these things to interfere with the time and attention he considered it his duty to devote to the Church, which he loved so sincerely. In St. Jude's he was one of the pillars, and held every office that is open to a layman. Frequently he read the lessons. It is not too much to say that the present satisfactory financial position of St. Jude's Parish is due, in a great measure, to Mr. Quin's exertions and practical help. Knockbreda Parish, and indeed many other parishes in the Diocese, have benefited by his generosity. It is impossible to enumerate all the charitable institutions in Belfast which are under a debt to him for his free professional services. As a Freemason, he exemplified all those characteristics for which the Order is noted. His brotherly and genial manner endeared him to all those v ho were brought into contact with him.
“On Monday his mortal remains were laid to rest beside those of his wife in the beautiful churchyard of Knockbreda. Just six weeks ago on Saturday he had followed to her last resting-place his beloved life-partner, who also was a victim of pneumonia. Sincere expressions of sympathy have been sent by numerous friends to the sorely-bereaved family in their double affliction. The funeral cortege was one of the largest that has ever been witnessed in Belfast, and was a striking testimony to the popularity and influence of Mr. Quin. An impressive Service was held in the church, which, needless to state, was quite unable to accommodate the large concourse of mourners. The Service was conducted : by the Rev. Louis W. Crooks, M.A., Rector of the parish, the lesson being read by the Rev. John Taylor, M.A., Rector of St. Jude's. The Bishop, in a touching address, alluded to the great personal loss many of them had sustained. Referring to his commercial and political activities, his Lordship spoke of Mr. Quin's great influence. Me was a strong man, and he was a straight man. The Church owed him a great debt for his constant and liberal support. In the recent crisis through which the Church was passing, Mr. Quin stepped forward boldly, and the Clerical Augmentation Fund received from him powerful help. Of Mr. Quin and his wife it might truly be said: “They were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided.”
Reade, Robert Henry Sturrock, DL. [1837-1913] A plaque beneath the Daniel window in the North Aisle records that the window was erected by the surviving children, sisters and brother of R H S Reade, of Wilmont, County Antrim. Robert Reade was a Director and Chairman of York Street Flax Spinning Company, High Sheriff of County Antrim, and Deputy Lieutenant for Belfast.
Reade, Lt Robert Ernest, DSO. Robert Reade erected the Joshua window in the South Aisle, in memory of his son Lieutenant Robert Ernest Reade, [1879-1901] who was killed in action in the Boer War.
Robinson, Samuel. People’s Churchwarden at the time of the laying of the foundation stone in 1899, his name is recorded on an inscription nearby.
Salmon, George. Corbel
Scott, Eileen Mary. The pulpit was provided as a memorial to Eileen Scott who died on 4th March 1964. The pulpit replaced the “Westminster” pulpit, etc
Scott, Miss Vivienne. Licensed church worker. A very well known presence in the city.
Shaftesbury, Constance, Marchioness of. The former Lady Constance Grosvenor, 1875-1957, who married the 9th Earl of Shaftesbury in July 1899. A plaque at the main entrance at the West end commemorates the laying of the Foundation Stone by Constance, Countess of Shaftesbury, on 6th September 1899. A photograph of the event, presented by Judge Thompson, hangs in the Ambulatory.
Shaftesbury, Edith, Dowager Marchioness of. The former Lady Harriet Chichester, daughter of the 3rd Marquis of Donegall, and sister of the Earl of Belfast – the Black Man – married the 8th Earl of Shaftesbury in 1857, and died 14th April 1898. She subscribed £1000.00 for the building of a cathedral, and in her Will left a bequest of a further £7000.00.
Shaftesbury, Earl of. Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 9th Earl, 1869-1961. Cathedral Church Warden in 1904, Lord Mayor of Belfast 1907, H M Lieutenant for Belfast 1903-1911 and for County Antrim 1911-1916, Chancellor of Queen’s University 1909-1923, President of the Belfast Charitable Society 1896-1961.
Shaw, Edwin Henry. A stone in the floor of the Chapel of the Holy Spirit records that the Chapel was given by him in 1932. The consecration, by the Right Reverend C T P Grierson, took place on Sunday, 5th June 1932. The Bishop of Cashel and the Bishop of Warrington were also present.
The sermon by the Dean, the Very Reverend H R Brett explained, in rather florid language, that the Chapel, as gifted, consisted of two stories. The Chapel itself occupied the ground floor above which, approached through an aisle turret, was a library or muniment room. The roof above was peaked with flat extensions and parapets to the east and west.
Edwin Shaw made two conditions with his gift. The first was that his identity should not be disclosed. The second was that the building should be “exceeding magnifical”. The first of these he later waived at the Dean’s request and a tablet in the floor records the gift. Mr Shaw lived at Ailsa Lodge, Craigavad.
Shearman, Anne, Rosalind and Kate. The two sisters Anne and Rosalind founded “Ashleigh House” school. The Old Ashleighans’ Association caused the Respond of Temperance to be carved in their memory and that of their sister, Kate, in the autumn of 1983.
Shearman, Josiah Nicholson. The Respond of Wisdom was carved in his memory and that of his wife, Susan Mary, who died in 1925 and son, Josiah Francis, a Minor Canon at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral who died in 1925. Rev Shearman was Rector of Saint Matthew’s, Shankill and died in 1915. The carving is by Rosamund Praeger.
Sloan, James. James was a Past Chorister of the Cathedral and an Assistant Verger. As a memorial to him, his wife and family made the gift on 2nd June 1981 of two chairs with tapestried cushions and kneelers which are in the Chancel.
Smith, Anne Richardson. The Angels at the end of the string-course in the Baptistry (by Praeger?) were given by Anne Richardson Smith.
Smylie, Hugh. A Churchwarden at the time of the laying of the stone which commemorates the men of Ulster who lost their lives in the Great War.
Smyth, Captain W Maxwell. Vicar’s Churchwarden at the time of the laying of the foundation stone in 1899, his name is recorded on an inscription nearby.
Steele, General Sir James. His personal banner hangs overhead at the entrance to the North Transept.
Stephens, Reverend D F. He was a curate in the Cathedral. He appears on a photograph taken in 1904 held in the Cathedral archives.
Stewart, J Robert. Bob was a former Commanding Officer of Saint Michael’s Company Church Lads’ Brigade and of the Ulster Regiment Church Lads’ Brigade. A chair in the Sanctuary marks his service and commemorates the 80th Anniversary of the Saint Michael’s Company. He was a diocesan reader.
Stopford, Philip. See Organists
Sumner, Mary. Founder of The Mothers’ Union. She is remembered by the gift of one of the columns in the Baptistry. The fourth column from the east is called “Mary” and was given by the Diocesan Mothers’ Union in her memory.
Taylor, Annie. She is one of the benefactors named in the tryptique in the Baptistry. Her donation was the second most easterly of the ten columns. Annie Taylor was a member of the Cathedral Guild and her column is called “Anne”.
Templer, Field Marshall Sir Gerald. The personal banner of Sir Gerald, as a Knight Grand Cross of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, hangs above a brass plaque in the floor of the North Transept. As British High Commissioner in Malaysia he brought about the satisfactory end of a 12-year troubled period known as the Emergency after the creation in 1948 of the Federation of Malaya.
Thompson, His Honour, Judge Herbert Marshall. Recorder of Belfast, he gave the Respond of Justice which was dedicated by Bishop D’Arcy on 27th November 1927. The carving is by Rosamund Praeger. In 1925, he presented a photograph of the laying of the Foundation Stone which hangs in the Ambulatory. At one time, he acted as Junior in the defence of Sir Edward Carson in a slander case. As a churchwarden in 1927, his name appears on a memorial stone in the west wall at the north side of the main entrance. He wrote a number of booklets on this history of the Cathedral, and in his Will left his house in Windsor Park for use as a Deanery.
Townsend, Mary. Founder of The Girls’ Friendly Society. She is remembered by the gift of one of the columns in the Baptistry. The third column from the east is called “Mary” and was given by the Diocesan Girls’ Friendly Society in her memory.
Trelford, James. The David window in the South Aisle was a bequest of James Trelford whose family had worshipped in Saint Anne’s for over 200 years.
Verner, Edmond. Died February 1972, member of Cathedral Board.
Vessey, R. Churchwarden in St John the Evangelist, Upper Holloway N in 1899, whose name is on the Seaver clock in the Ambulatory.
Wakehurst, Lord, KCMG. [John de Vere Loder, 2nd Baron Wakehurst, 1895-1970, Governor of Northern Ireland 1952-1964] Lord Wakehurst set the foundation stone for the Eastern Apse & Ambulatory on 24th September 1955.
Wallace, Helena Caroline. A canon’s stall for the Archdeacon of Connor was presented in 1959 by Helena Caroline Wallace.
Wallace, Rev William, DD. Rector of St Luke’s, Stepney, he gave £1000.00, in 1904,for the provision of the steps and platform the main entrance, as recorded on a stone nearby.
Ward, Evelyn Annie. As the wife of Captain H B Ward and daughter of Sir Daniel Dixon, she is remembered by the carving of the capitals of the two pillars at the Baptistry. She died on 26th November 1925 and the carvings were caused by her sisters.
Ware, William. The first organist in Saint Anne’s Parish Church, 1776 - 1825. See Organists.
Watson, Edward. A wooden shelf on a pillar in the Ambulatory was provided by Elsie Watson in memory of her husband on 8th March 1992.
Watson, Elsie. A wooden shelf on a pillar in the Ambulatory was provided by Elsie Watson in memory of her husband Edward Watson on 8th March 1992.
Watson, Joseph. Churchwarden of the cathedral when the “Charity” window in the Ambulatory was dedicated on 23rd September 1988. Worked with Dean Shearer on the major renovations and development of the Cathedral precints.
Willis, John. Organist of Saint Anne’s Parish Church, 1825 to 1847. See Organists.
Withers, Thomas. A chair and prayer desk in the Apse were given in 1981 in memory of Thomas Withers by his wife and Mary, his sister.
Wood, Henry A. Organist of Saint Anne’s Parish Church, 1863 to 1873. See Organists. [1868 Street Directory – 122 Aughton Terrace, Donegall Pass].
Woodville, R Caton. The “Irish Guards in Prayer before Battle” was drawn by the artist R Caton Woodville. It is in the Cathedral archives. In November 1914 it was reproduced in the Illustrated London News.
Woodward, Ruth, Esther, Otway and family. Two matching chairs in the Sanctuary were presented by Ruth, Esther and Otway Woodward in 1959 in memory of their parents, Harry and Alice Woodward. See also Ruth Bustard.
Young, John A. City Solicitor - A member of the Cathedral Board for many years. Chancellor of the Diocese of Connor, a member of the Diocesan Council, and a member of the Representative Church Body, and an honorary sub-organist of the Cathedral. Author of the booklet “Unfinished Pilgrimage” - the story of Belfast Cathedral.