Thomas G G CollinsBorn in Dublin in 1873, he was educated at Rathmines School and Dublin University where he had a distinguished career. He graduated BA in 1893 and took the BD degree in 1901. He also gained the Primate’s Hebrew prize, the Carson Biblical prize, the Archbishop King’s Divinity prize and a first class Divinity Testimonium.
He was ordained in 1896 for the curacy of Maralin (now Magheralin, Dromore) and in 1902 he was appointed rector of the united parishes of Drumgath and Drumballyroney, Rathfriland. Two years later he went to the parish of Warrenpoint and, on the death of Dean Bristow in 1910, he became rector of the parish of Saint James’s, Belfast. In November 1919 he was appointed Vicar of Saint Anne’s and Dean of Belfast in succession to Very Rev C T P Grierson. In 1920 he married Kathleen Hollwey.
During his time at the cathedral he served on the Diocesan Board of Education and the Diocesan Council. He was chaplain to the Parliament of Northern Ireland. On 4th February 1926, he was elected Bishop of Meath. His departure from Saint Anne’s was marked by the congregation presenting an illuminated address and cheque. He also received an Episcopal ring from his diocesan colleagues and tokens from the CIYMS and the Cathedral Mission in recognition of his close involvement in their activities.
He died on Sunday, 3rd July 1927, from pneumonia which had developed from a cold caught while on holiday in England. This was only some weeks after he had attended the consecration service for the West Front. In the cathedral that day Dean Brett expressed his concern at the bishop's illness at the morning service but there was shock at the afternoon service when Rev C M Gorman announced that the former Dean had died. At the conclusion of the service Captain Brennan played the Dead March from “Saul” on the organ.
His name is on the West wall outside the Cathedral on the memorial to the men of Ulster who fell in the Great War.